Good Evening

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Good Evening

Post  Curlyriff on Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:03 pm

Hey Everyone,

I have just brought myself a new Edge and this is my first tank so am learning all the basics at the same time, I have set up a simple arrangement with a few rocks and plants (only plastic at moment). Although these may be changed later to proper planets in the next week or so (depending on the light situation). I am just wondering what I should look out for in regards to looking after, cleaning the tank etc...

I have no idea what fish I am going to put in the tank at the moment and it appears that around 6-8 fish is the ideal amount but depends on what I go for. I just want a few fish i.e a Siamese fighting fish 1x male and 2x female with a few schools of fish that are bright and coloured for the tank. Was thinking something like neon tetra , zebra danios or cherry barbs?

I don't know if these would all be OK in same tank or they require the same temp etc but are some that I liked the look of. I know that I shouldn't get more than one male Siamese fighting fish and if I have females as well it is recommended to have at least two together in the same tank due their nature.

Would a selection of the above be too much for this size tank? I was thinking of a school of one of the above (say 6x type) plus the 3x Siamese fighting fish total. Based on the fish above I would need to keep my tank around 24-26 degrees C for them to be happy.

Also people seem to be saying that the lights that come standard are not that bright and at the same time run hot so evaporate the water due their location in the tank. Is there an alternative that I can use that would both produce better lighting while not heating the water up to the point that it is evaporating at such a high rate? Ideally something that is a direct replacement would be best but if I need to do a little DIY to install this shouldn't be a problem.

Also as I mentioned at the top of the post (should you have managed to read this far!) some are saying the light's are not good enough to keep the plants alive?Should this make any difference to my choice/type of plant that I would like to have in the tank?

I haven't got a heater yet as I am not sure what to go for. Allot of people are having problems with the specific heater that is designed for this and I don't want anything that stands out or is too large to heat the tank suitably. Any advise would be appreciated. I did find a Interpet Deltatherm Heater for a good price (£8.00) but not sure if this is any good.

People seem to say place the heater at the back but the lights are directly above would this not cause a problem with the temp gauge reading wrong? Can I place the heater anywhere in the tank and is there any that could be hidden more while still working effectively for the tank?

I am giving my water a few weeks to get sorted with levels etc plus it has been taken from a friends tank anyways so is pretty good to go now but didn't want to risk killing my first load of fish by being overzealous with sorting it all now.

Sorry for all the questions but hope to learn and make the most out of this great little tank.

I will attached a few pics of what the tank currently looks like tomorrow.

Kind Regards,

Adam

Last edited by Curlyriff on Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Curlyriff
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

Small Images

Post  Curlyriff on Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:34 am

OK so I have some pictures sorted from last night to give you an idea of what I have set up so far. Hope you like and any help with the comments previous and/or other ideas please let me know.

Kind Regards,

Adam

Curlyriff
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

Re: Good Evening

Post  MochaCaliGirl on Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:54 pm

Welcome!

Unfortunately the tank really isn't optimal for Betta's unless you intend not to fill it up all of the way. Betta's gulp oxygen and need a large surface.

MochaCaliGirl
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

Post  MrGator on Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:07 pm

Hello and welcome!

The betta's don't need a large surface area, they just need a area where they can access air and the edge maintenance hole is more than sufficient IMO! Mine loves his edge!!

Magister
MrGator
Angelfish

http://www.fluvaledgeforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top