MR11 LEDs: Anyone able to help?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MR11 LEDs: Anyone able to help?

Post  Lucas69 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:52 am

Can anyone suggest an LED replacement for the standard Edge lamps?
I've looked at a few on eBay, but I noted that some said that they wouldn't be suitable connected up to a transformer for 10watt halogens.
Not really looking for massive amounts of light, as we've got a tropical setup and we don't have live plants. Just looking for a saving on running costs.

Was thinking these would do the job?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-X-MR11-G4-12-Volt-Led-Bulb-15-leds-warm-white-/170604984864?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item27b8d97a20

Lucas69
Guppy

Back to top Go down

LED's

Post  38lynette on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:31 am

Hi there
I bought some very expensive LED's MR11 bulbs at my local Aquarists, £21 I think I paid, and they were the Fluval Edge replacement bulbs. They are exactly the same as those you show for sale on ebay. Not sure if they are warm white tho, I think they are white or bright white. Certainly they are brighter than the previous halogens. They do work fine, only I was sceptical, like you about connecting to a different transformer etc. However, I was told in the shop that the bulbs I bought don't need all that kind of fuss.............I am still not sure. My plants are not doing too well, but in your case that is not the issue. I would go ahead and buy those, poss you have done so already as it's ages ago since you posted.
Perhaps you have some idea about how I get my plants to green up again. I gave them some feed 2 days ago, and they are growing, just look rusty brown. Sad

38lynette
Guppy

Back to top Go down

Re: MR11 LEDs: Anyone able to help?

Post  MrGator on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:16 am

The bulbs you have linked to are fine for use in the edge. I'd suggest a cool white (6000K +) to enhance the colours of your fish, especially if you're keeping tropicals!

Magister
MrGator
Angelfish

http://www.fluvaledgeforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

LED lights sufficient for live plants?

Post  38lynette on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks for the info. I am happy with the colour of the lights, it's just that I was told I need at least 5 -8 thousand kelvin for my plants to flourish, do you know what kelvin (K) the replacement Fluval Edge LED's are? Due to the expense of these bulbs I don't think I can go buying more just for the colour..
Lynette

38lynette
Guppy

Back to top Go down

Post  MrGator on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:48 am

I believe they're 7200k, as in the new lighting arms - don't quote me on it though! They're definitely between 6-10k though!

Magister
MrGator
Angelfish

Back to top Go down

Post  38lynette on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 am

Hi Magister
Well I can't find the mark for kelvin (K) on the arms of the lighting system. Can you tell me where to find it,? I have looked everywhere. Shocked I have the original style Fluval Edge, as far as I am aware/ Model # 15395 (luminaire portable).
Lynette

38lynette
Guppy

Back to top Go down

Post  MrGator on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:29 pm

sorry - misunderstanding! I meant I believe the new LED bulbs have the same colour temperature as the new LED lighting arms on the updated edge. I didn't mean it's actually stated on the arms! What a Face
MrGator
Angelfish

Back to top Go down

Post  38lynette on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:35 am

ha ha, what a laugh. Yes big misunderstanding. lol. Laughing Never mind, but I am still none the wiser as to whether the MR11 or indeed any of the FE lights are sufficient for maintaining plant life. It has zero to do with the brightness, but everything to do with Kelvins, apparently, so I am told!! flower
Lynette

38lynette
Guppy

Back to top Go down

Post  jimw on Fri May 25, 2012 4:30 pm

The fluval LED MR11 bulbs are 10000K. Marked on the outside of the box.
jimw
Pygmy Cory

Back to top Go down

Post  38lynette on Sun May 27, 2012 4:44 pm

Yes, thanks for the post on 10,000k on the box. I discovered this too when in LFS, I looked at the lights and found it written on the box too. However, I don't believe this was written on the box initially, although I could be wrong,I just didn't see it there before!! Surprised

38lynette
Guppy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top