Pressurised co2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pressurised co2

Post  Deborah on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:26 am

Anyone else using pressurised co2, if so what is your optimal bpm? I've only just ordered a drop checker so still awaiting its arrival!
Deborah
Guppy

Back to top Go down

Re: Pressurised co2

Post  Max on Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:14 am

I run CO2 in my 200L tank, but I'm not going to in my EDGE. Unless you really replace the lighting system, I don't think you will have a lot of luck with fast growing plants that need a lot of CO2. Then there is the issue of space with fast growing plants.

All that aside, 30ppm is usually the target value. For slower growing plants that will be ok with the EDGE lighting system, I would say 10ppm is plenty. I would be guestimating but I would think 1 bubble every 2-5 seconds might be sufficient for the Edge. That obviously can vary depending on your diffuser, the carbonate hardness (kH) of your water and what not. I guess my main point is you probably don't need a whole lot of CO2. Any gas diffusion will also likely create lots of bubbles on the ceiling glass, so, be prepared for that.

I hope that helps a little.

Cheers,
Max

Max
Pygmy Cory

Back to top Go down

Post  Deborah on Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks Max. I'm new to the hobby and appreciate any advice.

I've upgraded the stock lights to MR16 Leds. The tank is Iwagumi styled. I've used Oliver Knott substrate and the flora is Eleocharis parvula & Hemianthus callitrichoides (initially emersed). I'm also dosing liquid carbon and ferts.
Deborah
Guppy

Back to top Go down

Post  Max on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:48 pm

Deborah,
Ok, neither of those are enormously demanding for light or CO2, but some CO2 will make a noticeable improvement in growth and health. I would start with one bubble every 3 or 4 seconds, and test from there. Hopefully the light will be sufficient to keep the Hemianthus compact. Sounds like you know how to help yourself figure things out though.

You may also be well off to dose ferts on the low side to make sure the plants are using it all up and not leaving extra for algae. Just a thought I would be keeping in my mind if I was setting up in similar fashion.

Be sure to post photos when your setup is mature. I'd be excited to have a look.

Cheers,
Max

Max
Pygmy Cory

Back to top Go down

Post  Deborah on Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:22 pm

Yep, the great www is a good source of info and I've never read so much! That said, this is my first aquarium so I dare say there'll be many a question to follow... Very Happy
Deborah
Guppy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum