How much sand

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How much sand

Post  eskimobob on Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Hi All,
I've just bought a second hand Fluval Edge 23 litre tank and am starting to get stuff together for it for a tropical setup Very Happy

My parents kept tropical fish when I was growing up but their tank had an under-gravel type filter where the muck was caught in the gravel. If I recall correctly that gravel had to be cleaned periodically. I am planning to use silver sand on the bottom (see main question below) and wonder, since the pump/filter is a different type on the edge, does this remove the need for cleaning the sand?

Can anyone tell me approximately how much silver sand would be required to cover the bottom to perhaps a depth of about an inch?

eskimobob

Back to top Go down

Re: How much sand

Post  jwebbe on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:04 am

I have sand in my tank and use about 3/4 - 1 inch deep. Just make sure when you clean your tank, you turn the filter off and don't turn the filter back on until the sand has settled. I try and use a fish-only turkey baster to pick up the debris so it doesn't stir up the sand too much. Then I use my Aqueon water changer/siphon to drain the water.
I also use a prefilter sponge on the intake so that cuts down on how much sand gets sucked up. If you don't be careful, it can ruin your filter.
I also have MTS snail ( Malaysian Trumpet Snails ) in my tank to help agitate and stir up the sand. This is needed to gas bubbles don't build up that can be deadly to your fish.

If you want to see a picture of my tank, look in the gallery, here on this forum Smile
My Fluval edge - 6 gallon - Zen gardening

Junne

jwebbe
Otto

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum