Cycling Question?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cycling Question?

Post  Newbie2012 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:49 am

Hi All,

Opened up my new edge box and found the small bottle you get with it to help start the cycle of the aquarium & create the good bacteria, however i have read that these actually do nothing to help?

Has anyone got any advice on other ways of cycling if this infact is useless, although i wonder why they would give you it in the first place if it does not work.

Slowly but surely learning!

Newbie2012
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

Re: Cycling Question?

Post  jimw on Mon May 21, 2012 2:28 am

As no one has answered this, I will. Yes the bottles work, although I prefer Tetra safestart, which I have used many times in the past.
Using it correctly allows you to fully stock a tank instantly without cycling.
I used it to stock a malawi cichlid tank with 50 fish on day 1, and never had any problems or losses.
You do need to do regular (daily) water changes and add extra safestart each time.
This has to be done for about a month untuil the normal bacterias develop.
jimw
Pygmy Cory

Back to top Go down

Post  Newbie2012 on Mon May 21, 2012 3:55 am

Thanks for the reply!

I followed the instructions on the bottle and everything was fine, however i was unaware i was meant to be doing water changes afterwards? I was told to leave the tank alone for 2 weeks and then get my first round of fish.

Its been more than 2 weeks and i now have what looks like white fungus on my rocks plants etc, started doing water changes this week to see if i can get rid of it but so far it hasnt helped at all. After the water changes i have what looks like white floaters all the way to the top of the tank.

Bit confused as to what to do next, obviously dont want to get any fish until my tank is right.

Newbie2012
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

Post  jimw on Mon May 21, 2012 4:22 am

The thing with the bottled bacteria it needs fed (fish waste and food). Without it it cannot survive. Also while the botlled bacteria is doing its job, if you are feeding the tank, then the beneficial bacteria will start to develop, and when it does it doubles in numbers every 24 hours.
If you have just added the bottled bacteria and have no fish or decomposing food, then there is nothing for it to do and the beneficial bacteria can't develop either.
If it was me , I would either get the water tested, or start again. Clean everything in fresh water - refill with new water(dechlorinated) and add the bottle bacteria and a few fish. Then just do a water change every 2nd day (about 25%), adding extra bottled bacteria each time. Do this for about 4 weeks and you will find your tank is fully cycled without having had to wait to stock.
jimw
Pygmy Cory

Back to top Go down

Post  rickO2 on Mon May 21, 2012 7:07 am

Newbie,

As jimw has mentioned, you really need to be able to test the condition of the water in the tank; something like the API Freshwater Master Test Kit will do the job.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337604527&sr=8-1 Otherwise you don't know if the fish are swimming about in dangerous levels of sewage or whether the benficial bateria is growing/has been established and is processing the sewage from Ammonia>Nitrite>Nitrate. When cycling, I'm usually testing the water every one or two days.

I've just cycled a new tank over 6 weeks by adding Homebase Value Household Ammonia (9.5%)...the amount added is dependant on the size of the tank. I did add bottled bacteria as belts and braces but, from what I read on various websites, there is some speculation as to how well, if at all, bottled bacteria works; I'm not saying it doesn't work, I'm just saying I'm not experienced enough to be sure one way or another. I don't add fish until the tank is cycled, and then only add 2 or 3 fish per week (...for a tank such as an Edge). I change about 10 litres water (ie a bucket) per week in my 23 Edge.

Here's a good article on cycling ... http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm

All the best,

Ricky
rickO2
Angelfish

Back to top Go down

Post  jimw on Mon May 21, 2012 8:13 am

Ricky, the bottled bacteria (and the only one I can speak of is safestart) definitely works. I will only give advice on something I have tried myself. As I said used on a new tank with 50 x 3 inch Malawi cichlids added instantly, and never had a days problem. The only secret to them is to use it properly and do large water changes to help it along. I would never again do a fishless cycle - can't be bothered with the wait and with the results I have had with the safestart, why wait?
jimw
Pygmy Cory

Back to top Go down

Post  rickO2 on Mon May 21, 2012 8:41 am

Hi jim,

If the bottled bacteria you are adding causes there to be no measurable Ammonia or Nitrite and little Nitrate in the water when you introduce the fish and thereafter then it would seem it is working. However, Ammonia and Nitrate need to be zero, otherwise permanent damage can be done to the fish gills etc.

One of my lfs has been pushing API Quick Start and showed me a tank the other week that had been running only a few days and was fully stocked with fish as evidence that it works. Mind you the tank was empty two weeks later when I next visited, so maybe he sold all the fish or moved them elsewhere? Another lfs recommends cycling for a couple of weeks and then adding 2 small fish per week. The guys on the Practical Fishkeeping Forum tend to favour fishless cycling. At the moment I am sticking with fishless cycling since I'm relatively new to this hobby, and feel that fishless cycling (although it can take up to 6 weeks) is the safest.

Regards,

Ricky

rickO2
Angelfish

Back to top Go down

Post  jimw on Mon May 21, 2012 9:15 am

I agree, that fishless cycling is the best way and for anyone brand new to fishkeeping , they should do that as it will help them to understand the nitrogen cycle, but the safestart works - how exactly, I don't know, because as we all know, that without waste product, the bacteria die off after 4 hours, how they produce a product with bacteria that sits on a shelf for weeks or months, I have no idea, but tetra apparently spent 10's of millions developing the product and I have never had an issue when using it. As for the other makes, never tried them, so can't comment on them.
jimw
Pygmy Cory

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top