Having trouble with my edge2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Having trouble with my edge2

Post  gem on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:58 pm

Hi,
I need some advise here. I have the original 6 gallon edge and its amazing. My fish are doing great. I personally love the halogen lighting, my plants are doing great. I bought the 12 gallon at christmas and started to do it's cycle and it's now feb and it's still not going well. I have 4 large neon tetras in it and they do okay but any other fish I put in don't do well and either die or I put them in the 6gallon tank to recover. Right now my 6 g is overstocked because I have all the fish from the other tank in it. I can't figure out why it isn't doing well. The plants are dying in that tank too. My tap water (well water) is very acidic but both of my aquariums are very alkaline (7.6). ?? Can't figure that out either. If I get it to 7.0, it reverts back to 7.6 in a matter of 4 days. I've been doing small 1/5 water changes once a week which helps the ph level. Should I take out all the water and start over again? Not sure what I'm doing wrong. And I'm not sure about that new lighting...I dislike the LED lighting, makes the aquarium look very cold and doesn't show off their colors nicely. I wrapped some yellow plastic over the lighting and it warms it up a bit .. I would rather go back to the halogen.

gem

Back to top Go down

Re: Having trouble with my edge2

Post  rickO2 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:08 am

Hi Gem,

Do you have a test kit ie do you know what the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate readings are? If there is Ammonia or Nitrite present then the fish will suffer. You want Ammonia and Nitrite to be zero, and the Nitrate to be no higher than 40 ppm. The API Freshwater Master test kit is a popular choice for doing these tests.

It's worth noting cycling can take up to 6 weeks or so, and even when it's done only a couple of small fish should be added every two or 3 weeks.

My pH is 7.6 but my Celestial Pearl Danios, Neon Tetras, Mosquito Rasboras and Pygmy Corrys all seem to be getting on OK in a 23 L Edge and a 30 L Flora. I wouldn't say my plants (mostly Java Ferns and mosses) do brilliant, but now that I'm feeding them they seem to be getting on a bit better.

I also preferred the colour of the halogens, but they ran hot and also (I think) fried shrimp that got too close. The LEDs are bluer but safer I reckon.

Regards,

Ricky
rickO2
Angelfish

Back to top Go down

Post  surlyguy on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:00 pm

I also prefer the color of the halogen lights but the LED lights appear far less prone to growing algae, and last much longer.

(I changed the halogen bulbs in the original 23L edge out for the Fluval LED replacement bulbs.)

surlyguy
Guppy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top