HELP: Compare... 21 LEDs & MR16 LEDs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HELP: Compare... 21 LEDs & MR16 LEDs

Post  tnd512 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi All,
I'm new in this forums.
I just purchased a new Fluval Edge yesterday & it's a latest Edge model. Every one in this forums discuss about MR11 & MR16 LEDs ... My Edge is using 21 LEDs (94V-O). I watched a lot of clips on youtube & it looks way brighter than mine & they r using MR16 LEDs.
Any1 have any ideas why the old model got a better lights than the new 1 ??? I really like the Halogen light, it brighter & also I can modify it and make it look even brighter, like add more LED strips & change to MR16 ...
I bought my Edge yesterday total $140.71 USD with tax. I found one (2nd hand) online near my house today for $80 USD with stock Halogen. Lets not talk about the price, if you were me, will you take the 21 LEDs or the 2x MR16 LEDs ??? I never saw an old Edge before, the local store only show the newest demo at the front desk. Please give me some advice so I can return my Edge tomorrow.

Fresh water
Many thanks ...

tnd512
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP: Compare... 21 LEDs & MR16 LEDs

Post  rickO2 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:40 am

Hi,

I have the older Edge (23 Litre ) that came with the two halogen bulbs. They ran very, very hot, they heated up the water, increased evaporation, fried a couple of Cherry Shrimp that got too close and caused the transformer to run a bit hot also. I replaced these halogen bulbs with two Fluval LED bulbs. All the previous problems have disappeared and the light has a slightly larger spread. The (small) drawback is that the LEDs cast a blue light, rather than the previous warmer, browner light from the halogens.

I had considered replacing the halogens with the MR16s, having read about them here and elsewhere, but thought I'd give the Fluval LEDs a go first. But I'm now getting to the stage where I think the MR16s might be a better solution specifically for improved plant growth. But I'd first need to convince myself that the existing transformer can run the MR16s etc.

Ricky
rickO2
Angelfish

Back to top Go down

Post  tnd512 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:23 am

Have u seen the new Edge with 21 LEDs ??? I don't think my plants will grow with this type of light, even tho if I add 2 more LED strips to it I don't think the light spread out enough compare to the MR16 LED u think ???
My tank is for plants growth & for shrimps only ... You think I should stick with the old model with 2 Halogen & mod it ? Better than the 21 LED ?
thanx

tnd512
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

Post  rickO2 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:46 am

tnd512,

I've only got experience of the Fluval halogens -v- the Fluval LEDs. Neither are that great for plant growth. Partly, the problem may be that the two lights are position above the middle of the tank, rather than spread along it's length, so only plants directly below the lights get sufficient coverage.

Here's a thread on the MR16s that contains info on an Edge installation .... http://fluvaledge.forumengland.com/t2-fluval-edge-mr16-led-upgrade

I have seen the new Edge with the 21 LEDs, but only in a shop. So I can't really say if it will be better for plant growth.

Regards,

Ricky
rickO2
Angelfish

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top